Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: 891V Replacement Tweeters

  1. #11
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If the diameter is about 4" then Pioneer ring tweeters "might" be a good choice, they were used in tons of speakers of that era, too bad they don't make them anymore. I keep a pair around in case a repair is needed for my garage sale finds, Dave.

    10

    11

  2. #12
    Inactive Member dochranilovich's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2007
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow! I'm overwhelmed by the speediness and helpfulness of the responses I've gotten! Addressing things in order:

    bfish -- my tweeters don't look like the ones on eBay, even though the part number is the same.

    CONVERGENCE -- they are stock components, so theoretically they could be repaired, although I have no idea by whom or for how much. Thanks for the tip about the Fostex tweeters.

    Old Guy -- what does it mean that my tweeters were CTS? Is that the manufacturer? By the way, I've never considered them to be "small" speakers -- they're bookshelf speakers, to be sure, but BIG bookshelf speakers. Compared to VOTT, of course, they're small.

    Old Guy and CONVERGENCE -- Are Madison and Madisound the same thing? A speaker supplier from whom I might be able to buy replacement tweeters such as the Fostex FT48?

    dgwojo -- Your Pioneer tweeters look a lot like my tweeters, much more so than the tweeters on eBay. They have the same orangish surround and all-black cone with a small dome in the center. They're also 4" from center of screw hole to center of opposite screw hole, if that's how you measure speaker diameter. Are yours for sale? If so, how much?

    Thanks to you all for your help!

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Dr Tom
    Old Guy and CONVERGENCE -- Are Madison and Madisound the same thing? A speaker supplier from whom I might be able to buy replacement tweeters such as the Fostex FT48?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope the company is Madisound Speaker Components

    http://www.madisound.com/index.html

    .............................

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member
    891V Replacement Tweeters


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    They are the same place. Convergence is just a youngster, doesn't remember when they were referred to as Madison.

    There is a ****** musical instrument builder called Madison, Madisound eliminates any confusion.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member
    891V Replacement Tweeters


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Dr Tom:
    Old Guy -- what does it mean that my tweeters were CTS? Is that the manufacturer? By the way, I've never considered them to be "small" speakers -- they're bookshelf speakers, to be sure, but BIG bookshelf speakers. Compared to VOTT, of course, they're small.


    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To the best of my knowledge they were supplied by CTS. CTS still makes speakers, but on a much smaller scale. I sincerely doubt repair parts are available.

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know those tweeters in 891's...they are the same CTS phenolic ring tweeters in the original Santanas.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    re: dgwojo -- Your Pioneer tweeters look a lot like my tweeters, much more so than the tweeters on eBay. They have the same orangish surround and all-black cone with a small dome in the center. They're also 4" from center of screw hole to center of opposite screw hole, if that's how you measure speaker diameter. Are yours for sale? If so, how much?

    I measured the hole to hole, yes, they're exactly 4", I'll be home in a couple days, send me an e-mail about them if you're interested. I'm getting away from small speaker reapirs so I'll most likely part ways with them. These tweeters were used by many companies including Ohm, I disected one of theirs and sure enough, same thing except a smaller magnet. Dave.

    25

    26

  8. #18
    Inactive Member HarryBriscoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was told by a speaker repair place that Pioneer makes a Phenolic Ring tweeter that is a direct replacement for the tweeter made by CTS that is in the 891A-V.

    Harry

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had a pair of the 891A's. Nice.

    The phenolic Ring tweeters were not made by Altec from what I remember. The later generation of 891 equiv, was the Model 5 I believe and used a similar tweeter to the Santana, but with a plastic frame instead of cast metal. They sound very nice too. I think I may have replaced the 891's with the newer models. They come up on ebay often. I think I even know where 1 is right now at a flea market.

    I may have to go check on that one for a future replacement. forums

  10. #20
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I heard from Dr Tom today, he said the Pioneer ring tweeters worked out perfect, I'm glad he's happy, he was using Blose speakers while these were out of service, I can see why he wanted his vintage sound back, read his description of what they sounded like, I love it!!


    Dave --
    I can't thank you enough for your help. I was flabbergasted at how well you'd packed the tweeters -- I've never received anything shipped by anyone else that came even close! And I had the tweeters the day after you shipped them. Most important, though, my 891Vs are up and running again, and that means a tremendous amount to me. I've had them for probably 30 years and loved the sound every minute. Music means a lot to me, and the Altecs make the Bose Acoustimass III I was using to replace them sound like two tin cans and a string. I not only have my speakers back, I have my music back -- and I can't thank you enough.

    Gratefully,

    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.